On March 24, 2017, the Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development created the Commission on Inclusive Education as an arms-length body under the provisions of the Teachers’ Professional Agreement and Classroom Improvements (2017) Act to examine the model of inclusive education in Nova Scotia.
The Commission is tasked to
- complete a literature review of national and international research
- identify best practices from across Canada
- consult broadly with the many partners in inclusive education
- reform inclusive education in Nova Scotia
- develop a strategic plan that includes recommended changes to:
- teacher training (initial preparation and ongoing professional development)
- coordination and alignment of programs and services
- monitoring of inclusive education
- Submit a final report by March 20, 2018
Consulting extensively with front-line teachers, parents, students, associations and seeking feedback from Nova Scotians is a priority for the Commission.